Showing 292 resultsAuthority record
- Corporate body
The Campus Ministry office at Mount Saint Vincent University was originally founded in 1925 as the Chaplain's Office and was later renamed Campus Ministry, probably sometime in the early 1980s. The Campus Ministry office exists to support the spiritual needs of the University community and is an ecumenical Christian ministry supported by the University, the Roman Catholic Church, the Anglican Church, and the United Church of Canada. This Christian ministry respects the diversity of religious beliefs present within the University community and seeks to work cooperatively on an ecumenical and inter-faith basis. The Campus Ministry office reports to the Dean of Student Affairs
- 1939-1948 (Creation)
Catherine Sarah McGowan, daughter of J.W. McGowan, attended Mount Saint Vincent Academy and was later a student at Mount Saint Vincent College, Halifax, Nova Scotia in the 1940's. In the summer of 1946 she was given the opportunity to work as a junior dietician in the Convalescent Hospital in Montreal, Quebec. In 1948 McGowan graduated from Mount Saint Vincent College with a Bachelor of Science. In 1949 McGowan was employed at the Department of Agriculture doing demonstration work in foods. Catherine later joined the Sisters of Charity and took the name Sister Catherine Joseph Marie. By 1997 Sr. Catherine was running daycare centres--the Jardin de los Ninos, and Centre Elisabeth Seton, and continues to work in the Dominican Republic.
- Corporate body
The Gingerbread House, a student cooperative child-minding service for two to five year-old children of Continuing Education students, faculty and staff attending Mount Saint Vincent University, opened on September 4, 1973. The day care was originally located on the MSVU campus, in the basement of Monay House, but moved to the basement of Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church in 1974. The cost was a $25.00 registration fee and $2.00 per session (morning or afternoon). Parents were expected to participate in the coop, serving on the governing committee and augmenting the paid staff by participating three hours each week in the program. The Gingerbread House was established as a project of MSVU Married Students Society and incorporated under the Nova Scotia statutes. The first Director was Madeleine Alam. In 1976 a new day care centre opened on the MSVU campus, which caused enrolment to drop at the Gingerbread House. In the late 1970s the Gingerbread House closed as the high cost of securing paid staff for a small number of students was too great.
Christl (Tiefenbacker) Murray attended Mount Saint Vincent Academy from 1948 to 1951. From November 1948 to June 1950, she was a boarder, and from September 1950 to June 1951 she was a day student.