Showing 20 results

Authority record
Corporate body

Canadian Broadcasting Corporation

  • Corporate body
  • 1936-Present

CNR's radio network was the predecessor of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation it operated as a radio network for passenger. CRBC -- the Canadian Radio Broadcasting Commission took over the CNR radio facilities and started to broadcast in English and French. In 1936 A new Canadian Broadcasting Act created the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation which was established as a crown corporation. Until 1958 the CBC acted not only as broadcaster but also as the regulator of Canadian broadcasting. The CBC began broadcasting television in addition to their radio services in 1952.

CKMS-FM

  • Corporate body
  • 1977-Present

CKMS began as a campus and community radio station in Waterloo Ontario, operated out of the University of Waterloo. The station launched in 1977 on the FM frequency and has been broadcast from 94.5FM, 100.3 FM and 102.7 FM. CKMS was once largely funded by the University of Waterloo which ceased in 2008, and now operates without any funding or support from the University. The station is run by interested community members and is funded though Co-op membership fees, programmer fees and fundraising activities.

Mount Saint Vincent University

  • Corporate body
  • 1873 -

Mount Saint Vincent University had its origins as an academy for young girls established by the Sisters of Charity in Rockingham (present day Halifax) in 1873. The original purpose of the academy was to train novices and young sisters as teachers, but the Sisters also recognised a need to educate other young women and therefore opened the academy to young women who lived in the city of Halifax. In 1925 the Nova Scotia Legislature passed a bill granting a charter to Mount Saint Vincent College empowering it to grant its own degrees. With that, Mount Saint Vincent College became the only independent women’s college in the British Commonwealth. It offered degrees in Education, Nursing and Arts.

The College continued to grow until 1966, when a new government charter was granted and the College became Mount Saint Vincent University, a co-educational institution. The Mount is a primarily undergraduate public university that offer programs in Arts, Education, Science, and Professional Studies.

Mount Saint Vincent University. Campus Ministry. (Halifax, N.S.)

  • Corporate body
  • 1925-

The Campus Ministry office at Mount Saint Vincent University was originally founded in 1925 as the Chaplain's Office and was later renamed Campus Ministry, probably sometime in the early 1980s. The Campus Ministry office exists to support the spiritual needs of the University community and is an ecumenical Christian ministry supported by the University, the Roman Catholic Church, the Anglican Church, and the United Church of Canada. This Christian ministry respects the diversity of religious beliefs present within the University community and seeks to work cooperatively on an ecumenical and inter-faith basis. The Campus Ministry office reports to the Dean of Student Affairs

Mount Saint Vincent University. Department of Athletics and Recreation. (Halifax, N.S.)

  • Corporate body
  • [195-] – 2015

It was in 1966 that Mount Saint Vincent College was granted university status and became Mount Saint Vincent University. Although students frequently participated in sports and recreational activities prior to the institution becoming an official college, it was after this official designation that the Mount became part of larger governing athletic bodies (regional and national), which allowed the Mount sports teams to compete in larger intercollegiate sports competitions. One of the first teams introduced at the Mount was the women’s basketball team (1950’s). Although initially only having women’s sports teams, the Mount quickly added co-ed and all male teams after men were permitted to attend the university, un 1967.

Throughout much of the 1970’s, MSVU held a women’s field hockey team, a tennis team, women's netball team, and a co-ed badminton team. There was also men’s and women’s basketball teams, and a women’s volleyball team. Recreational activities offered at the mount included modern dance, yoga, swimming, curling, bowling, skating, and pond hockey.

Through much of the 1980’s, MSVU held a curling team, women's volleyball team, women's basketball team, a co-ed badminton team, women's field hockey team and women's soccer team. It was during this decade that Mount introduced its first men's hockey team (1980-1986). The Mount’s first cross-country team was introduced in 1985 and retired in 1992. It was also during this decade that the Rosaria Student Centre was opened (1981). Recreational activities offered throughout the 1980’s included alpine skiing, bowling, dance classes, fitness classes, jogging club, kenpo, floor hockey, golf, gymnastics, netball, ping-pong, racquetball, squash, swimming, volleyball, yoga, scuba diving, and riding.

During the 1990’s, the Mount held both a men’s and women’s basketball team, a women’s volleyball team, a women’s soccer team, a co-ed badminton team, and a cross-country running team. It was also during this decade that the Pepsi Weight/Conditioning Centre was opened in the Rosaria Centre (1994). Recreational activities offered throughout this decade included aerobics, t’ai chi, swimming, and intramural sports like volleyball and badminton.

It was during the 2000’s that the Mount introduced its first men’s soccer team (2005). Additionally, the Mount held both a men’s and women’s basketball team, and women’s volleyball team. The last year that the Mount held a co-ed badminton team was in 2003. Recreational activities offered throughout this decade included karate, jazz dance, social dance, fitness classes, and several intramural leagues.

Mount Saint Vincent University. Department of Nutrition. (Halifax, N.S.)

  • Corporate body
  • 1927-1999

The Public Affairs was previously known as the Public Relations Office, University Relations, the Communications Office and the Information Office. Their mandate is to build relationships with our many "publics including government, potential students and their families, alumnae, donors and partners, and the general public

Mount Saint Vincent University. Department of Office Administration

  • Corporate body
  • 1925

In 1925 a Bachelor of Secretarial Science, which later became, a Bachelor of Science in Secretarial Studies was offered at Mount Saint Vincent College in the “commercial department” and later the business department. The program offered a variety of subject courses as well as secretarial courses. In the 1950s, the business department became a separate unit and courses became less broad and more business orientated. In 1958, two-year diploma programs were introduced in Secretarial Science and Medical Secretarial Science. The Bachelor of Science in Secretarial Studies was phased out in 1966 and replaced with a new degree called the Bachelor of Arts in Business Economics. In 1971 the Bachelor of Business Administration was introduced and in 1972, men were admitted for the first time as part-time students into the program. In 1973, the diploma in Secretarial Studies changed to an Executive Secretarial Diploma and a new diploma in Legal Secretarial Studies was offered. In 1976 the Bachelor of Arts in Business Economics, which had been phased out in 1972, was replaced with the Bachelor of Secretarial Arts degree. In 1977 the Business Administration Department and the Secretarial Department separated, however students in the Secretarial program continued to take Business Administration courses. In 1988 the Secretarial Department became the Office Administration Department. That same year the Executive Secretarial Diploma changed to the Diploma in Office Administration: Executive, the Legal Secretarial Diploma became the Diploma in Office Administration: Legal and the Medical Secretarial Diploma became the Diploma in Office Administration: Medical. In 1992 a new degree was developed called the Bachelor of Applied Arts (Information Management). It was the first of its kind in Atlantic Canada and it offered classes in arts, business and information management. The title changed again in 1999 to a Bachelor of Applied Arts in Information Technology, as it is known today. Sister Mary Assisium was in charge of the Secretarial Studies department from 1925 to 1945, followed by Sister Katherine Meagher in 1950. Other known department heads were Sister Anne Fintan (1964-5), Sister Marion Power (1967), Sister Brenda Helton (1970s) and Jean Mills (1990s).

Mount Saint Vincent University. Department of Women's Studies. (Halifax, N.S.)

  • CA-NS-MSVU-3
  • Corporate body
  • 1973-

In 1973, the first women's studies course was offered at Mount Saint Vincent University as an interdisciplinary course at the 300 level, taught by Dr. Susan Clark, Dr. David Monaghan and Dr. Rosemary Sampson. Other courses with an emphasis on women were introduced over the next few years in other departments at the University, along with a 100 level course taught by Dr. Frances Early in 1982. A major in Women's Studies was approved in 1984 and the department of Women's Studies was formed. An Honours degree in Women's Studies was offered in 1987. A joint Women's Studies Master's program was launched in September 1996 with Saint Mary's University and Dalhousie University. Dr. Susan Clark is credited to the growth of the Women's Studies program. In 1978 she became the Dean of Human and Professional Development and established the Institute for the Study of Women in 1981. Clark brought the publication Atlantis: A Women's Studies Journal to the university, and is responsible for the creation of the WomenÂ's Studies Chair and funding for library resources. Other early faculty members were Deborah Poff, who was a coordinator for the program and an Assistant Director for the Institute of the Study of Women in 1984 until 1991; Dr. Patricia Baker and Dr. Rhoda Zuk who were hired as cross appointers in 1989 and 1990 and Dr. Meredith Ralston the first full-time faculty member in the Women's Studies program in 1993. Some of the department's chairs over the years were Dr. Josette Deleas, Dr. Pat Baker and Dr. Meredith Ralston.

Mount Saint Vincent University. Gingerbread House. (Halifax, N.S.)

  • Corporate body
  • 1973-1980

The Gingerbread House, a student cooperative child-minding service for two to five year-old children of Continuing Education students, faculty and staff attending Mount Saint Vincent University, opened on September 4, 1973. The day care was originally located on the MSVU campus, in the basement of Monay House, but moved to the basement of Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church in 1974. The cost was a $25.00 registration fee and $2.00 per session (morning or afternoon). Parents were expected to participate in the coop, serving on the governing committee and augmenting the paid staff by participating three hours each week in the program. The Gingerbread House was established as a project of MSVU Married Students Society and incorporated under the Nova Scotia statutes. The first Director was Madeleine Alam. In 1976 a new day care centre opened on the MSVU campus, which caused enrolment to drop at the Gingerbread House. In the late 1970s the Gingerbread House closed as the high cost of securing paid staff for a small number of students was too great.

Results 1 to 10 of 20